Welcome to the Year 6 page
Click here if you would like further information on the SRE programme of study for Year 6 this half term.
Homework: Presentation HW and learning lines for production
Homework is given out on Friday, and is handed in on Wednesday.
Spellings: Each week, your child will receive 10 spellings, either from the statutory key words lists (see below) or based on a spelling rule, taught in school. We encourage the children to practise their spellings using a number of different strategies - there is a copy of our 'Spelling Menu' in their homework books to help at home.
Times Tables: We also focus on a different times table each week, and encourage the children to practise this particular times table at home, as part of their homework. Times Table Rockstars is an excellent website for practising times tables; we use this in school and encourage the children to login at home to practise too - the more practise the better!
Grammar/Maths: In addition, the children will receive a Grammar or Maths activity, related to the objectives covered in class that week.
Useful homework resources:
- Spelling Menu
- Times Table Rockstars (website)
- Times Table Rockstars (parent help letter)
- 'Primary Grammar Jargon Buster' help sheet
- Practice Arithmetic Papers - Questions and Answers
- Practice Reasoning Papers - Questions and Answers: Pack 1, Pack 2 and Pack 3
If your child would like to do some revision/SATs practice over the holidays, here are a few suggested links to games and activities online:
The Year 6 Writing Toolkit can be printed here.
Suggested books to read for a Year 6 child
Some more reading lists: Books for Topics (recommended Year 6 reading books) and 'The School Reading List'
Click here for the Year 3&4 Spellings and Year 5&6 Spellings
Dates for your diary
- Transition Days: w/c 1st July
- Staff Training Day (no school): Friday 5th July
- Y5/6 Summer Production (evening performance): Thursday 11th July 6.30pm - no tickets required.
- Y5/6 Summer Production (afternoon performance): Friday 12th July 2.00pm - no tickets required.
- Leavers' Party (Circus Skills Workshop at school): Monday 15th July (1-4pm) - see letter on the School App for more info
- Sports Morning (US): Wednesday 17th July (am)
- Families picnic: Wednesday 17th July (pm)
- Crucial Crew Trip: Thursday 18th July (am) - see letter
- Leavers' Assembly: Friday 19th July
- Last day of Summer Term: Friday 19th July
Topics for the Spring Term 2019
- Science: Electricity
- Topic: Our Changing World
- Art: Arts Exhibition Preparation
- PE: Athletics/Tennis
- RE: How can you express your beliefs?
- Music: Glockenspiels
- French: Conversations
- Computing: 'We are artists'
- Jigsaw (PHSE): SRE (Changing Me)
- Forest Schools: Taught by Miss Brown
Planners are sent home every day; please feel free to communicate via this book and remind your child to tell us if there is a message.
Homework tasks will be sent home each Friday and returned on Wednesday in the homework book; spellings will be sent home each Friday and tested on Wednesday.
Spellings are practised in class - a spelling list will be sent home.
We encourage children to read at least three times a week, recording their progress in their planners.
PE kits are needed in school all week and should include appropriate outdoor clothing & footwear. Hair should be tied back and stud earrings covered by tape; watches must be removed.
The children will have PE lessons twice a week: Mondays and Thursdays.
Please ensure all possessions are named including water bottles.
Please do not hesitate to call in after school should you have any questions.
Miss Turner & Mr Palmer