Welcome to the Year 6 page
Click here if you would like further information on the Summer Term SRE programme of study for Year 6.
Homework is given out on Friday, and is handed in on Wednesday.
Spellings: Each week, your child will receive 10 spellings, either from the statutory key words lists (see below) or based on a spelling rule, taught in school. We encourage the children to practise their spellings using a number of different strategies - there is a copy of our 'Spelling Menu' in their SPaG homework books to help at home. We also encourage the children to use their Spelling Shed account to practise the weekly spellings as well as the statutory key words.
Times Tables: Times Table Rockstars is an excellent website for practising times tables; we use this in school and encourage the children to login at home to practise too - the more practise the better!
Grammar/Maths: In addition, the children will receive a Grammar or Maths activity, related to the objectives covered in class that week.
Useful homework resources:
- Spelling Menu
- Times Table Rockstars (website)
- Times Table Rockstars (parent help letter)
- 'Primary Grammar Jargon Buster' help sheet
- Practice Arithmetic Papers - Questions and Answers
- Practice Reasoning Papers - Questions and Answers: Pack 1, Pack 2 and Pack 3
- Spelling Shed
The Year 6 Writing Toolkit can be printed here.
Suggested books to read for a Year 6 child
Some more reading lists: Books for Topics (recommended Year 6 reading books) and 'The School Reading List'
Second Hand Books: If you have any of the books on our Amazon WishLists and would like to donate them to our class bookshelves, then please pass them on to your child's teacher:
6P's Book WishList: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/36CDIYVQJ0BRR?ref_=wl_share
6T's Book WishList: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/3QIAFG45FJQVS?ref_=wl_share
Click here for the Year 3&4 Spellings and Year 5&6 Spellings
Dates for your diary
- 'Annie' Musical @ Tad Grammar: Tuesday 22nd October 2019 (during school time - pm)
- Eden Camp Trip: Friday 8th November 2019
- Parents' Evening: w/c 18th November 2019
- SATs parent/carer information meeting: Monday 3rd February 2020
- SATs Week: 11th-14th May 2020
Topics for the Autumn Term 2019
- Science: Animals Including Humans (Circulation)
- Topic: WW2
- Art: Linked to topic
- PE: Athletics and Tag Rugby
- RE: How can you express your beliefs?
- Music: 'I'll be There'
- French: Conversations
- Computing: E-Safety and Google Apps
- Jigsaw (PHSE): Being Me in My World
- Forest Schools: Taught by Miss Brown
Planners are sent home every day; please feel free to communicate via this book and remind your child to tell us if there is a message.
Homework tasks will be sent home each Friday and returned on Wednesday in the homework book; spellings will be sent home each Friday and tested on Wednesday.
Spellings are practised in class - a spelling list will be sent home.
We encourage children to read at least three times a week, recording their progress in their planners.
PE kits are needed in school all week and should include appropriate outdoor clothing & footwear. Hair should be tied back and stud earrings covered by tape; watches must be removed.
The children will have PE lessons twice a week: Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Please ensure all possessions are named including water bottles.
Please do not hesitate to call in after school should you have any questions.
Miss Turner & Miss Perkins