Welcome to Year 6
This page will provide some brief information about Year 6, including staffing, routines, the Year 6 curriculum and some additional links to helpful resources.
Any questions? Please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Year 6 team via the school office email or telephone. Alternatively, please leave a message on the table near the classroom door in the morning. We are keen to keep an open and supportive dialogue between home and school despite the current restrictions.
Please make sure you have downloaded our school app to receive important updates.
Summer Term 2021
We will be starting to hand out homework again at the start of the Summer Term. Homework will be handed out every week on a Friday and due back on the Thursday of the following week.
Each fortnight, 10 words will be sent home to be practised for a test on the due date. These words will link to the spelling rule taught in school, or will be taken from the Y3/4 and Y5/6 statutory word lists. Short, regular practice sessions are most effective - there is a spelling menu in your child's English homework book for different practice methods and the spelling words will also be set on Spelling Shed (a great online tool for practising spellings).
A reading comprehension or grammar activity will also be set, and can be found in the English homework book with the spellings list. In addition, every child should have a home reader; please try to read with your child/talk to them about what they are reading at least three times a week to develop fluency and comprehension skills.
A UFO (Useful Four Operations) sheet will be sent home each fortnight. Regular practice of the four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) is crucial to developing fluency in Maths, and will support your child in all areas of Maths. Times Tables should also be practised regularly to ensure fast recall of facts up to 12 x 12; Times Table Rockstars is an excellent website to help improve speed and accuracy.
This week's homework
Handed out: 23.4.21; Due back: 29.4.21
Spellings -click here to download
Maths UFOs -click here to download
If your child needs to isolate for a 2-week period, there is a programme of work on Seesaw for them to follow. They should be quite familiar with how to view their 'Activities' and how to complete and submit their work.
The work set has been designed to cover a 2-week isolation period, including:
- Maths video lessons and worksheets
- Maths UFOs
- English Writing
- English SPaG
- English Reading
- Topic grid
We would recommend that your child completes a daily Maths lesson, UFO, English writing session and SPaG activity each morning. In addition, there are 3 x reading sessions per week. In the afternoons, we would suggest working on their Science/Topic work and Wellbeing resources (including daily exercise).
Please get in touch with Miss Turner or Miss Perkins if you need further clarification or support with accessing the resources on Seesaw.
Year 6 staff
6T class teacher: Miss Turner
6P class teacher: Miss Perkins
Teaching assistants: Mrs Cartledge and Mrs Mead
Mr Simms, Mrs Cartledge and Mrs Brown (Forest Schools) will be teaching Year 6 on a Thursday afternoon.
- Please ensure that your child's uniform, coat, pack up and water bottle are clearly labelled.
- Children will be given a banded reading book as a home reader, unless they have indicated to us that they are currently reading another suitable book at home. When finished, they can return to school for quarantining and select another book to take home. Children will have a different school reading book to stay in school.
- Home School Planners will not be used for the time being.
- Named water bottles should be in school daily and must be taken home daily for washing.
- PE will be on a Wednesday and Thursday afternoon. Children should arrive at school in their full PE kit on these days only. Please make sure they are wearing suitable PE kit for the weather. If your child needs to be excused from PE, please send a note with them to avoid confusion.
- Please note: we are a NUT FREE SCHOOL, so children cannot bring any nut products to school in their pack ups. We appreciate your co-operation with this.
- Snacks must be healthy and cannot be shared with other children.
Times Table Rockstars (website)
Times Table Rockstars (parent help letter)
- Tips and Ideas for learning the multiplication tables
Please see this help sheet on keeping children safe online: Click here
Well-being Booklet: Click here
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries or need any additional support.
Miss Turner and Miss Perkins