Welcome to Year 6
The Year 6 children have settled really well into their new classes; it has been great to welcome them back to school.
This page will provide some brief information about Year 6, including staffing, routines, the Year 6 curriculum and some additional links to helpful resources.
Please be aware that the information shared on here may be subject to change as we navigate the new restrictions and adapt to a new 'normal'.
Any questions? Please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Year 6 team via the school office email or telephone. Alternatively, please leave a message on the table near the classroom door in the morning. We are keen to keep an open and supportive dialogue between home and school despite the current restrictions.
Please make sure you have downloaded our school app to receive important updates.
Dates for your diary
- Monday 7th December: SRE Zoom Parent Meeting (6pm)
- Friday 11th December: Christmas Jumper Day for Save The Children
- Tuesday 15th December: Friends' Christmas Sales (in bubbles)
- Wednesday 16th December: Christmas Lunch
- Thursday 17th December: Class Activity Morning (Forest Schools and PE as normal PM)
- Thursday 17th December: Christmas Performance Video launch (5pm)
- Friday 18th December: Break up for Christmas Holidays
Homework will be handed out every 2 weeks on a Monday and due back on the Wednesday of the following week.
Each fortnight, 10 words will be sent home to be practised for a test on the due date. These words will link to the spelling rule taught in school, or will be taken from the Y3/4 and Y5/6 statutory word lists. Short, regular practice sessions are most effective - there is a spelling menu in your child's English homework book for different practice methods and the spelling words will also be set on Spelling Shed (a great online tool for practising spellings).
A reading comprehension or grammar activity will also be set, and can be found in the English homework book with the spellings list. In addition, every child should have a home reader; please try to read with your child/talk to them about what they are reading at least three times a week to develop fluency and comprehension skills.
A UFO (Useful Four Operations) sheet will be sent home each fortnight. Regular practice of the four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) is crucial to developing fluency in Maths, and will support your child in all areas of Maths. Times Tables should also be practised regularly to ensure fast recall of facts up to 12 x 12; Times Table Rockstars is an excellent website to help improve speed and accuracy.
A topic activity menu will be sent home shortly for the children to select home learning activities from. This will be set termly or half termly and they will have several weeks to complete tasks before work is due in. More information on this will follow.
This week's homework: (due 09.12.20)
Spellings: Click Here
SPaG: Click Here
Maths: Click Here
Please click here for a link to our Remote Learning letter to parents.
Your child has been sent home with a Remote Learning book. In the case of isolation, they should complete their work in this book or on a computer if available.
All Remote Learning work will be available on Seesaw. Your child should have received a Seesaw letter for details regarding logging in to their new Year 6 20-21 class. This is only to be completed if your child needs to isolate; it is not to be confused with fortnightly homework (see above section for details).
The work set has been designed to cover a 2-week isolation period, including:
- Maths video lessons and worksheets
- Maths UFOs
- English Writing
- English SPaG
- English Reading
- Science project
- Topic project
- Wellbeing resources
We would recommend that your child completes a daily Maths lesson, UFO, English writing session and SPaG activity each morning. In addition, there are 3 x reading sessions per week. In the afternoons, we would suggest working on their Science/Topic work and Wellbeing resources (including daily exercise).
Please get in touch with Miss Turner or Miss Perkins if you need further clarification or support with accessing the resources on Seesaw.
Year 6 staff
6T class teacher: Miss Turner
6P class teacher: Miss Perkins
Teaching assistants: Mrs Cartledge and Mrs Mead
Mr Simms, Mrs Cartledge and Mrs Brown (Forest Schools) will be teaching Year 6 on a Thursday afternoon.
- Please ensure that your child's uniform, coat, pack up and water bottle are clearly labelled.
- Your child should only bring into school a coat, pack up, water bottle and Forest Schools kit (although this should stay in school and only go home occasionally for washing).
- Children will be given a banded reading book as a home reader, unless they have indicated to us that they are currently reading another suitable book at home. When finished, they can return to school for quarantining and select another book to take home. Children will have a different school reading book to stay in school.
- Home School Planners will not be used for the time being.
- Named water bottles should be in school daily and must be taken home daily for washing.
- PE will be on a Thursday afternoon. Children should arrive at school in their full PE kit on this day only. Please make sure they are wearing suitable PE kit for the weather. If your child needs to be excused from PE, please send a note with them to avoid confusion.
- We will be in touch shortly regarding homework routines and possible remote learning material, should your child need to isolate.
- Please note: we are a NUT FREE SCHOOL, so children cannot bring any nut products to school in their pack ups. We appreciate your co-operation with this.
- Snacks must be healthy and cannot be shared with other children.
Autumn Term Topics
Topic: Mysterious Mayans (History, Geography, Art and DT)
Times Table Rockstars (website)
Times Table Rockstars (parent help letter)
- Tips and Ideas for learning the multiplication tables
Please see this help sheet on keeping children safe online: Click here
Well-being Booklet: Click here
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries or need any additional support.
Miss Turner and Miss Perkins