Welcome to Year 5
This page will give you some brief information about Year 5. Any information shared on here may be subject to change as we navigate the new restrictions and adapt to the new normal.
Obviously, things will be a little different at school, for the time being, and If you have any questions or would just like to speak to a member of the Year 5 team about another matter then please contact to school office (via phone or email). Alternatively, leave a message on the table near the classroom door in the morning and we will gladly call you back later in the day. We are extremely keen to keep an open and supportive dialogue between home and school despite the Covid restrictions.
As usual, any urgent information will generally be sent out via the school app or email.
As the new year begins, we will continue to embed our behaviour policy; Ready, Respectful and Safe (RRS) with the additional new Covid rules.
We will also be reinforcing good learning attitudes with the help of the Copmanthorpe Learning Buddies: Resilient Snail, Resourceful Squirrel, Reciprocal Bee and Reflective Owl. (RRRR)
- Please ensure that your child’s uniform, coat, pack up and water bottle are clearly labelled. We will not be able to hold onto lost property anymore and children will not be able to wander the school to look for lost items so if it is not named we won't be able to return it to the correct child. They do any require any other items to be brought into school unless otherwise agreed.
- Children will be given a banded reading book to take home and read at home. When finished, they can return to school for quarantining and select another book to take home. Children will have a different school reading book to read at school. If children want to bring a book in from home to read in school, this will need to be cleaned or quarantined in school before they can use it in class.
- Home School Planners will not be used for the time being.
- Named water bottles should be in school daily and must be taken home every day for washing.
- PE will be on a Wednesday afternoon and tennis on a Thursday afternoon, so children are to come into school in their full PE kit on this day only. Please make sure that they have on suitable PE kit for the weather as we will usually be outside. Please also ensure that long hair is tied up and earrings are either removed or covered up on P.E. days as we will not be able to help children with this as we usually would have. We will be adding in another PE session shortly and will let you know in good time. If your child needs to be excused from PE, please send them with a note to avoid confusion.
- In regard to home learning, we are trying to limit the amount of items passing between school and home so are setting up new systems for homework. We will be in touch about these routines soon but it is likely to be daily reading, a weekly spelling and times table homework and then a termly topic menu to select from.
- Please note we are a NUT FREE SCHOOL, so children cannot bring any nut products to school in their packed lunches. We appreciate your co-operation with this.
- Snacks must be healthy and they can not share any of their food or snacks with any other children.
Helpful websites for homework:
Spelling Shed: https://www.edshed.com/en-gb
Purple Mash: https://www.purplemash.com/login/
Click here for the Year 3&4 Spellings and Year 5&6 Spellings
If you would like to donate or buy books, go to our wish lists... thank you! 5R's book list on Amazon 5B's book list on Amazon
If there are any questions, please do not hesitate contact us.
Mr Bunce & Miss Rayner