Page updated - 4th February 2024
Welcome to Year 5
This page will give you some brief information about Year 5. If you have any questions or would just like to speak to a member of the Year 5 team, please contact the school office (via phone or email). We are extremely keen to keep an open and supportive dialogue between home and school.
As usual, any urgent information will generally be sent out via the school app or email.
As the new year begins, we will continue to embed our behaviour policy; Ready, Respectful and Kind (RRK)
We will also be reinforcing good learning attitudes with the help of the Copmanthorpe Learning Buddies: Resilient Snail, Resourceful Squirrel, Reciprocal Bee and Reflective Owl. (RRRR)
Important Year 5 Dates
5CSW - Monday 15th January until Monday 26th February (excl half term)
5FN - Monday 4th March until Monday 22nd April (excl Easter)
York Mosque and Islamic Centre Visit
Tuesday 27th February
8th April - 11th April everyday.
Year 5 Staff
Teachers - Mrs. Nicholson - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning, Mrs. France - Thursday and Friday
TAs - Mrs. Jackson (am) and Miss Robinson (pm)
Teachers - Mrs. Corah - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Mrs. Wooldridge - Thursday, Mr. Simms - Friday
TAs - Mrs. Stamp (am) and Miss Robinson (pm)
Mr. Simms (P.E.) and Mrs. Sadler (French/R.E. alternate half terms) will covering the teachers' planning, prep and assessment time on a Wednesday afternoon.
- Please ensure that your child’s uniform, coat, pack up and water bottle are clearly labelled. We will not be able to hold onto lost property anymore and children will not be able to wander the school to look for lost items so if it is not named, we won't be able to return it to the correct child.
- PE will be on Wednesdays this term so children are to come into school in their full PE kit on these days only. Please make sure that they have on suitable PE kit for the weather as we will usually be outside. Please also ensure that long hair is tied up and earrings are either removed or covered up on P.E. days. If your child needs to be excused from PE, please send them with a note to avoid confusion.
- Swimming will be on Mondays see dates above. Please see additional letter for the kit required.
- School does not have funding to provide a morning snack. However, your child is welcome to bring in their own 'healthy' snack. Please note we are a NUT FREE SCHOOL, so children cannot bring any nut products to school in their snacks or packed lunches. We appreciate your co-operation with this.
- The Curriculum for This Term
This term, Year 5’s topic will be 'Exploring Africa!', with a focus on human and physical geographical features. The host subject will be Geography along with English but we will also be incorporating History, DT and Art.
Please find below the curriculum newsletter for this term. It includes general information about Year 5 routines too.
Please find below a knowledge organiser for our WWII Topic
Please see below the end of year expectations for all year groups:
- Home Learning
Science Homework due in 28th February.
Women in Science - tinyurl.com/mryh675u
Women in STEM – tinyurl.com/53sfrwzh
Our regular homework will consist mainly of spelling and maths practice. Short, regular practice sessions both in school and at home are one of the most effective ways to embed both spelling, maths skills and times tables.
Homework will be sent home on a Friday and due back on the following Wednesday
- Reading really is the backbone of learning both in an academic sense, for all curriculum areas, but also in a wider sense, in relation to a child's independence, mental health and just for shear enjoyment so it is enormously important that we give it such a high focus. Reading at home can be their school reading book, a novel, fact book or comic. All reading, whatever it is, is really beneficial for improving fluency and comprehension.
- All children will be given a colour banded reading book to take home and read at home. When finished, they can return to school and select another book to take home. If children want to bring a book in from home to read in school, then this is absolutely fine as we will be encouraging stamina for reading each day.
- Reading at home is encouraged at least three times a week but ideally every day.
- We will be running the reading challenge again, this term. Please see info in your child's homework book.
- Please ensure that any reading is recorded in their Home School Planner. The children can complete the planner themselves, but an adult must check and sign.
- We aim to check the planners every Monday.
- Spellings taken from the Year 5 & 6 statutory words will be sent home to practise in a variety of ways. We will also be giving the children a spelling rule investigation to work on at home. A spelling test will be conducted on a Friday.
- Please encourage your child to continue to practise any common exception words from Year 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 that they find challenging.
Helpful Spelling and English Resources:
Click here for the Statutory Year 5 & 6 Spellings
Click here for the statutory Year 3 & 4 Spellings
Chick here for the Statutory Year 1 & 2 Spellings
Spelling Activity Menu
- An activity linked to a what we are learning in school will be sent home on a Friday. This will allow the skills they are learning in school to be embedded through further practise at home.
- Having a secure knowledge and rapid recall of times tables will help your child in many different areas of maths so we will be encouraging children to access Timetable Rockstars at home as well as in school.
Helpful Maths resources:
Please get in touch if you need further clarification and thank you for your support with home learning.
Mrs. Corah, Mrs. Nicholson, Mrs. France, Mr Simms and Mrs. Wooldridge
- Supporting Information and Home Learning Website Links
The following links were shared with parents during the periods of remote learning due to the pandemic. We have kept them on here as many of the sites and resources are really useful if your child is eager or requires further support.
- Purple Mash
- Classroom secrets
- BBC Teach
- Ict Games
- Kapow - Art, DT, Music, Languages, Computing
- Reading Activities to support reading for pleasure
- Reading Suggestions
- Oxford Owl
- Bug Club - https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk/login?c=0
- Times Table Rockstars
- White Rose
- Number Fun with Dave Godfrey
- Full Calculation Methods - showing progression
- Maths 4 Kids
- Corbett Maths 5 a day - try Gold or Silver
PSHE AND WELLBEING (Child friendly Covid info)
- CBBC newsround
- York Gov fact sheet for children
- Elsa Support
- Brain Pop - child friend info re Covid 19
- Little Puddings - social story
Science, Computing and STEM