At Copmanthorpe Primary School, we strongly believe in the positive impact Outdoor Learning can have on our pupils from Foundation Stage right through to Year 6. Taking learning outside can provide new experiences, a practical context for learning, the chance to see things in different ways and it provides many different opportunities to succeed.
We are fortunate to have a wonderful outdoor environment where lessons across the curriculum can be taken outside whatever the weather! We also have a Forest School Certified Teacher who delivers weekly sessions to our Year 6 pupils.
Research has shown that Outdoor Learning sessions encourage:
- Confidence: children have the freedom, time and space to learn and demonstrate independence
- Social skills: children gain an increased awareness of the consequences of their actions on peers through team activities such as sharing tools and participating in play
- Communication: language development is prompted by the children’s sensory experiences
- Motivation: the woodland fascinates the children and they develop a keenness to participate and the ability to concentrate over longer periods of time
- Physical skills: these improvements are characterised by the development of physical stamina and gross and fine motor skills
- Knowledge and understanding: the children develop an interest in the natural surroundings and respect for the environment