Welcome to Year 4
What a brilliant start to Year 4 it has been - the children have been wonderful!
This page will provide some information about Year 4, including staffing, routines, the Year 4 curriculum and some additional links to helpful resources.
Any questions? Please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Year 4 team via the school office email or telephone. Alternatively, please leave a message on the table near the classroom door in the morning. We are keen to keep an open and supportive dialogue between home and school despite the current restrictions.
Please make sure you have downloaded our school app to receive important updates.
As we all return to the classrooms, we will continue to embed our behaviour policy; Ready, Respectful and Safe (RRS).
We will also be reinforcing good learning attitudes with the help of the Copmanthorpe Learning Buddies: Resilient Snail, Resourceful Squirrel, Reciprocal Bee and Reflective Owl. (RRRR)
Around the world miles: Do join us walking, running, biking around the world.
Year 4 Staff
4B Teacher - Mr Bunce
4S Teacher - Mrs Sherwin
TAs - Mr Hall, Miss Hargraves, Mrs Jackson, Mrs Quick and Mrs Smith.
- Please ensure that your child’s uniform, coat, pack up and water bottle are clearly labelled. Named water bottles should be in school daily.
- Children will be given a banded reading book.
- Active Learn - Bug Club. This link will take you to the login page. There are lots of books about a range of amazing topics and new story books. Remember the more books you read the more points you can earn.
- Home School Planners will be used in the autumn term.
- PE will be on a Monday and a Thursday. Children are to come into school in their full PE kit on this day only. Please make sure that they have on suitable PE kit for the weather as we will usually be outside. Please also ensure that long hair is tied up and earrings are either removed or covered up on P.E. days.
- Please note we are a NUT FREE SCHOOL, so children cannot bring any nut products to school in their packed lunches. We appreciate your co-operation with this.
Autumn Term 2021
We have such an exciting first term to look forward to in Year 4. Here are just some of our first topics: the Stone age; Burps, Bottoms & Bile in science; being a detective in English; and ordering & comparing numbers in maths.
Timetable - Here is an example of a 'normal' week.
- Spellings taken from the Year 3/4 statutory words will be sent home to practice in a variety of ways and then the children will be tested every week.
- Please encourage your child to continue to practise the common exception words they find challenging. We can provide you with a list if required.
- Please encourage your child to practise spelling on Spelling Shed.
Click here for the statutory Year 3 & 4 Spellings
- By the end of Year 4, children should know all their times tables up to 12 x 12. Having a secure knowledge of times tables will help your child in many different areas of maths. We do not yet know whether this year’s Year 4 children will be expected to sit the Statutory Times Table Check which was planned for last year.
Times Table Rock Stars is a fun and challenging programme designed to help students master the times tables! This is the link for Times Table Rockstars.
Purple mash also has a times table check facility which mimics the 6 seconds answer time. This is the link for Purple Mash.
- Reading really is the backbone of learning both in an academic sense, in all curriculum, areas but it also in a wider sense in relation to a child's independence, mental health and just for shear enjoyment so it is enormously important that we give it such a high focus.
- Please continue to read with your child and/or talk to them about what they are reading at least three times a week at home. Some of the key reading skills we focus on in school are vocabulary, inference, prediction, explanation, retrieval and sequence/summary (VIPERS).
More on home learning
If there are any questions, please do not hesitate contact us.
Mr Bunce & Mrs Sherwin
Supporting Information and Home Learning Website Links
The Oak National Academy https://www.thenational.academy/ lessons also seem good. These are recommended by the Secretary of State. They are delivered by real life teachers, not our own staff, but teachers nonetheless. It’s another option if you feel you need more content.
- Purple Mash
- Classroom secrets
- BBC Teach
- Ict Games
- Kapow - Art, DT, Music, Languages, Computing
- Jane Considine
- Spelling Shed
- Spelling Activity Menu
- Grammar Expectations
- Click here for the statutory Year 3 & 4 Spellings
- Y1 and 2 common exception words.doc
- Reading Activities to support reading for pleasure
- Reading Suggestions
- Oxford Owl
- David Walliams free audio stories every day
- Active Learn - There are lots of books about a range of amazing topics and new story books. Remember the more books you read the more points you can earn.
- Times Table Rockstars
- White Rose
- Number Fun with Dave Godfrey
- Year 4 Calculation Methods
- Full Calculation Methods - showing progression
- Maths 4 Kids
- Corbett Maths 5 a day - try Bronze or Silver
PSHE AND WELLBEING
- CBBC newsround
- York Gov fact sheet for children
- Elsa Support
- Brain Pop - child friend info re Covid 19
- Little Puddings - social story
Science, Computing and STEM
- Maddie Moate
- Kids Invent Stuff
- 31 Day Lego Challenge
- Scratch 30 day coding Challenge
- BBC Bitesize Science
- BBC Bring the Noise
- Musical Express - click on the Teacher portal and enter:
- Rock Kidz
- Sing Up
- Classic FM Music Resources
- Free Music lessons
- Music Lab - Experiment with music (links to art and science)