Welcome to Year 4
This page will provide some brief information about Year 4, including staffing, routines, the Year 4 curriculum and some additional links to helpful resources.
Any questions? Please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Year 4 team via the school office email or telephone. Alternatively, please leave a message on the table near the classroom door in the morning. We are keen to keep an open and supportive dialogue between home and school despite the current restrictions.
Please make sure you have downloaded our school app to receive important updates.
As we all return to the classrooms, we will continue to embed our behaviour policy; Ready, Respectful and Safe (RRS) with the additional new Covid rules.
We will also be reinforcing good learning attitudes with the help of the Copmanthorpe Learning Buddies: Resilient Snail, Resourceful Squirrel, Reciprocal Bee and Reflective Owl. (RRRR)
Do join us walking, running, biking around the world:
Year 4 Staff
4CC Teachers - Mrs. Cunningham (Monday - Wednesday), Mrs. Harvey (Thursday and Friday)
4CN Teachers - Miss. Robinson (Monday, Tuesday), Mr. Bennett (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
TAs - Mrs. Harvey, Miss Robinson and Mr. Crisp.
1:1 TAs - Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Harrison, Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. Stamp, Miss Sutton
- Please ensure that your child’s uniform, coat, pack up and water bottle are clearly labelled. We will not be able to hold onto lost property anymore and children will not be able to wander the school to look for lost items so if it is not named we won't be able to return it to the correct child. They do any require any other items to be brought into school unless otherwise agreed.
- Children have been given a banded reading book to take home and read at home. When finished, they can return to school for quarantining and select another book to take home. Children will have a different school reading book to read at school. If children want to bring a book in from home to read in school, this will need to be cleaned or quarantined in school before they can use it in class.
- Active Learn - Bug Club. This link will take you to the login page. There are lots of books about a range of amazing topics and new story books. Remember the more books you read the more points you can earn.
- Home School Planners will not be used for the time being.
- Named water bottles should be in school daily and must be taken home every day for washing.
- PE will be on a Thursday and Friday so children are to come into school in their full PE kit on this day only. Please make sure that they have on suitable PE kit for the weather as we will usually be outside. Please also ensure that long hair is tied up and earrings are either removed or covered up on P.E. days as we will not be able to help children with this as we usually would have. If your child needs to be excused from PE, please send them with a note to avoid confusion.
- In regard to home learning, we are trying to limit the amount of items passing between school and home so have setting up fortnightly systems for homework.
- Please note we are a NUT FREE SCHOOL, so children cannot bring any nut products to school in their packed lunches. We appreciate your co-operation with this.
- Snacks must be healthy and they can not share any of their food or snacks with any other children.
Summer Term 2021
This year, our normal weekly homework will move to fortnightly instead and will consist mainly of spelling and times table practice. Short, regular practice sessions are one of the most effective ways to both spelling and times tables.
This homework will be sent home every two weeks on a Monday and due back on the Wednesday of the following week. This will give both you and us time to quarantine the book.
- Spellings taken from the Year 3/4 statutory words will be sent home to practice in a variety of ways and then the children will be tested every other Friday.
- In the back of the book, we have included a full list of the Statutory Spellings for Year 3 and 4 and also a Spelling Activity Menu which you may find useful for helping your child practise their spellings.
- Please encourage your child to continue to practise the common exception words they find challenging. We can provide you with a list if required.
- Please encourage your child to practise the words on Spelling Shed at least 3 times per week. Click this link for Spelling Shed. The Year 1,2,3 and 4 words are also on Spelling Shed.
Click here for the statutory Year 3 & 4 Spellings
- By the end of Year 4, children should know all their times tables up to 12 x 12. Having a secure knowledge of times tables will help your child in many different areas of maths. We do not yet know whether this year’s Year 4 children will be expected to sit the Statutory Times Table Check which was planned for last year.
- An activity linked to a certain times table will be sent home and then the children will be tested every other Friday.
Times Table Rock Stars is a fun and challenging programme designed to help students master the times tables! This is the link for Times Table Rockstars
Purple mash also has a times table check facility which mimics the 6 seconds answer time. This is the link for Purple Mash
- Reading really is the backbone of learning both in an academic sense, in all curriculum, areas but it also in a wider sense in relation to a child's independence, mental health and just for shear enjoyment so it is enormously important that we give it such a high focus.
- Please continue to read with your child and/or talk to them about what they are reading at least three times a week at home. Some of the key reading skills we focus on in school are vocabulary, inference, prediction, explanation, retrieval and sequence/summary (VIPERS).
- Your child has been given a colour banded reading book to read at home (they also have access to a book in school so keep this one at home until it is completed). When finished, please return back to school for quarantining. Your child can then pick another book to bring home. We are not sending home planners at present.
A topic activity menu will be sent home half termly or termly. Please see the latest one attached.
Topic activity menu click the link - Summer
Please get in touch if you need further clarification and thank you for your support with home learning.
More on home learning
Mrs. Cunningham, Miss. Robinson, Mr. Bennett, Mrs. Harvey
and the whole Year 4 team
Supporting Information and Home Learning Website Links
BBC Bitesize https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize daily lessons
The Oak National Academy https://www.thenational.academy/ lessons also seem good. These are recommended by the Secretary of State. They are delivered by real life teachers, not our own staff, but teachers nonetheless. It’s another option if you feel you need more content.
- Purple Mash
- Classroom secrets
- BBC Teach
- Ict Games
- Kapow - Art, DT, Music, Languages, Computing
- Jane Considine
- Spelling Shed
- Spelling Activity Menu
- Grammar Expectations
- Click here for the statutory Year 3 & 4 Spellings
- Y1 and 2 common exception words.doc
- Reading Activities to support reading for pleasure
- Reading Suggestions
- Oxford Owl
- David Walliams free audio stories every day
- Active Learn - There are lots of books about a range of amazing topics and new story books. Remember the more books you read the more points you can earn.
- Times Table Rockstars
- White Rose
- Number Fun with Dave Godfrey
- Year 4 Calculation Methods
- Full Calculation Methods - showing progression
- Maths 4 Kids
- Corbett Maths 5 a day - try Bronze or Silver
PSHE AND WELLBEING
- CBBC newsround
- York Gov fact sheet for children
- Elsa Support
- Brain Pop - child friend info re Covid 19
- Little Puddings - social story
Science, Computing and STEM
- Maddie Moate
- Kids Invent Stuff
- 31 Day Lego Challenge
- Scratch 30 day coding Challenge
- BBC Bitesize Science