Welcome to the Year 6 page
"Somewhere inside all of us is the power to change the world." - Roald Dahl
Welcome to Year 6!
Young Voices: We are SO excited to be attending the Young Voices Concert in Sheffield on Tuesday 8th January 2019. Click here for more information about the concert. You can learn the lyrics here.
Next week's Guided Reading: War Horse Chapter 9
Homework is given out on Friday, and is handed in on Wednesday.
Spellings: Each week, your child will receive 10 spellings, either from the statutory key words lists (see below) or based on a spelling rule, taught in school. We encourage the children to practise their spellings using a number of different strategies - there is a copy of our 'Spelling Menu' in their homework books to help at home.
Times Tables: We also focus on a different times table each week, and encourage the children to practise this particular times table at home, as part of their homework. Times Table Rockstars is an excellent website for practising times tables; we use this in school and encourage the children to login at home to practise too - the more practise the better!
Grammar/Maths: In addition, the children will receive a Grammar or Maths activity, related to the objectives covered in class that week.
Useful homework resources:
- Spelling Menu
- Times Table Rockstars
- 'Primary Grammar Jargon Buster' help sheet
- Practice Arithmetic Papers - Questions and Answers
The Year 6 Writing Toolkit can be printed here.
Suggested books to read for a Year 6 child
Click here for the Year 3&4 Spellings and Year 5&6 Spellings
Dates for your diary
- Visit to York Castle Museum WW1 exhibition: Tuesday 13th November 2018 (am only - back for school lunch) - please speak to Mr Palmer/Miss Turner if you are able to help as a parent volunteer
- Christmas Carol Concert (Senior Citizens): Monday 17th December 2018 - 2pm
- Christmas Carol Concert: Tuesday 18th December 2018 - 2pm and 6.30pm
- Young Voices Concert @ Sheffield Arena: Tuesday 8th January 2019
- SATs Week: 13th-16th May 2019
Topics for the Autumn Term 2018
- Science: Light
- Topic: The Great War (WWI)
- Art: Poppy Art
- PE: Netball
- RE: How can you express your beliefs?
- Music: Young Voices
- French: Conversations
- Computing: Google Apps
- Jigsaw (PHSE): Celebrating Differences
- Forest Schools: Taught by Mrs Brown
Planners are sent home every day; please feel free to communicate via this book and remind your child to tell us if there is a message.
Homework tasks will be sent home each Friday and returned on Wednesday in the homework book; spellings will be sent home each Friday and tested on Wednesday.
Spellings are practised in class - a spelling list will be sent home.
We encourage children to read at least three times a week, recording their progress in their planners.
PE kits are needed in school all week and should include appropriate outdoor clothing & footwear. Hair should be tied back and stud earrings covered by tape; watches must be removed.
The children will have PE lessons twice a week: Mondays and Thursdays.
Please ensure all possessions are named including water bottles.
Please do not hesitate to call in after school should you have any questions.
Miss Turner & Mr Palmer