Welcome to Year 5
- English & Maths this week
- Ideas to support your child's spelling
- 100 books
- Maths workshop
- Online Maths games
Autumn Term 2017 - Update
Welcome to year 5!
Homework this week is based on Science. We'd like the children to think of their own food chains using some or all of the animals listed on the sheet. The challenge is to label each with the correct scientific term (Producer, primary consumer, secondary consumer, prey, predator, herbivore, carnivore etc)
Eden Camp visit - Friday Nov 10th
You will already be aware that we are planning on visiting Eden Camp as part of our WWII topic. It is always cold there, so please ensure your child has warm clothing that will also keep them dry! They will all need a packed lunch with a drink. We will be taking commemorative stones with us to place in a memorial garden. Your child will need to bring in a stone (not too large!), to decorate the week after half term.
If you are able to help on this visit please let one of the teachers know.
Our main topics for the Autumn Term are...
Topic - WWII - looking at changes in Europe, and at home
Computing - Internet safety, chrome book training, coding
Science - Humans and other animals - teeth and digestive system, BBC Scientific Terrific investigation in how excercise affects our brains.
PE Invasion games, dance/drama
Spellings We will focus on spelling patterns e.g. 'ough' words for a few weeks. Children can look at these at home, but we will not be testing these words. Other year 5 words will, however, be tested. See details in Homework section below.
English & Maths - details of areas being covered are on the link above
- Homework will be set on a Thursday, to be returned on the following Wednesday. We will also send home spellings on a Friday ( 3 x year 5 words), to be tested on a Monday. Both of these will be available on the website using the links above.
- Please ensure that your child’s uniform, bag, coat and pack up are clearly labelled. We still have lots of lost property every term!
- Reading books and reading diaries should be taken home daily. We can then ensure that children get the satisfaction of sticking with a book and finishing it! We’re happy to give suggestions if it’s tricky to find a book which ‘grabs’ your child.
- Named water bottles should be in school daily and either taken home every night or at the end of the week.
- PE will be on Thursday mornings and Friday afternoons. To allow flexibility it would still be useful if P.E. and Games kits could be kept in school all week. If your child needs to be excused from PE please send them with a note, either on paper or in their diaries, to avoid confusion.
- 5F will be taught by Mrs Nicholson on a Tuesday and Mrs Scott on alternate Fridays to enable Mrs France to carry out Assistant Headteacher role.
If there are any questions please do not hesitate contact us.
Mrs France & Mrs Turley