Welcome to Year 4
"The sky has no limits... and neither do I.” - Usain Bolt
We are really excited about our Christmas Production this week. We can't wait to show you all our hard work over the past few weeks!
- Spellings will be sent home on a Monday, to be tested on Friday
There will be no spellings sent home until the Spring Half Term.
- SMIRFS - space mission instant recall facts!
Instant recall is one of the most important parts of learning mathematics. It gives children a bank of knowledge from which they can draw to help them when working with maths in a range of situations. Your child will be bringing home a copy of their current target sheet for them to be supported at home.
They will then have a fortnightly opportunity to be tested in school to show what progress they are making against their targets. 4P will be tested on W/C 9th October (and then every other week) and 4L will be tested on W/C 16th October (and then every other week).
Please ensure that your child brings their book into school with them on their test week.
- Ms Lees teaches 4L and Mr Palmer teaches 4P
- Mrs Harvey will be working in both classes
- Mrs Scott teaches 4P on Wednesday mornings
- Mr Simms and Mrs Scott teach both classes on Wednesday afternoons
Dates for your diary
- Wednesday 13th December: Year 3 & 4 Christmas Performance at 2pm.
- Thursday 14th December: Year 3 & 4 Christmas Performance at 6pm.
- Friday 22nd December: Break up for Christmas at 3:15pm.
Topics for the Autumn Term
- Science: Animals Including Humans
- Topic: The Romans
- Art: Italian artists - Giuseppe Arcimboldo, Amedeo Modigliani and Leonardo Da Vinci
- Computing: E-Safety and Scratch
- DT: Roman roads, mosaics, shields and food technology
- French: All Around Town!
- Music: A timeless pop song from the 1970s - Mamma Mia!
- PE: Athletics and gymnastics
- RE: What is it like to be a Hindu in Britain? and Christingle: A Festival of Light
More on home learning
Click here for the statutory Year 3&4 Spellings
Please note we are now a NUT FREE SCHOOL, so children cannot bring any nut products to school in their packed lunches. We appreciate your co-operation with this.
- Please ensure that your child’s uniform, book bag, coat and pack up are clearly labelled. We still have a formidable amount of lost property every term!
- Reading books and Home School Diaries should be taken home daily. We can then ensure that children get the satisfaction of sticking with a book and finishing it. We’re happy to give suggestions if it’s tricky to find a book which ‘grabs’ your child.
- Named water bottles should be in school daily and either taken home every night or at the end of the week.
- PE is taught twice a week, usually a Wednesday and Friday. However, to allow flexibility, it would still be useful if P.E. kits could be kept in school all week. If your child needs to be excused from PE please send them with a note to avoid confusion.
- Please continue to try to read with your child and/or talk to them about their reading at least three times a week. On top of prediction and summarising, other skills we’ll cover will include looking at structure (headings, sub-headings, captions, introductions and conclusions) as well as spotting past and present tense and formal and less formal language in non-fiction books.
- Children may change their ‘free readers’ as soon as they have finished them, they will be reading their Guided books in school regularly so the ‘free readers’ are there for them to practise and enjoy.
We are very keen to maintain open communication and a partnership with you. If there is anything you would like to talk to us about please catch us before or after school or make an appointment in advance.
Ms Lees & Mr Palmer