Welcome to Year 1
This week (week beginning the 15th May) is 'Arts Week.' The children have all been busy designing and making Aboriginal works of art which we will be displaying as part of the whole school art exhibition next half term. Also we have been listening to some Aboriginal traditional tales to link in with our topic.
This term our topic is Traditional Tales. We will be looking at a wide range of stories and linking Science and Design and Technology to The Three Little Pigs.
We hope to be able to spend time outdoors as the weather improves so please make sure your child has their outdoor PE Kit and appropriate outdoor wear for Forest Schools.
Staffing in Year 1 :
Mrs Angood and Mrs Burns teach in Class 1M (Miss Morton is on maternity leave) and Mrs Balding is teaching in Class 1W.
The teaching assistants working in Year 1 are Mrs Smith, Mrs Hare and Mrs Patrick.
Mrs Cartright and Mr Simms will teacher in Year 1 on a Wednesday morning.
Please pop in if you have any queries. The end of the day is generally best, as we can give you more time.
This half term, both class 1M and 1W will have PE on a Monday (Class Teacher) and on a Wednesday with our specialist sports coach, Mr Simms. They will be developing their skills in outdoor games so will need outdoor kit please.
We're planning to continue our Forest Schools work in the grounds, this will usually take place on alternate Fridays. Please make sure your child brings in Waterproof clothing and Wellingtons and these can be left in school.
Please make sure your child has a coat/waterproof in school every day. We still go out for playtimes even if it is raining!!
Free Readers are changed every Monday and your child will bring home a Guided Reading Book on the day that they read in class. Please keep the book and diary in the book bag, in case we want to do any extra reading at school. Please bring book bags in every day.
Please can your child bring in a named water bottle (full of water only) every day. The children are able to refill their water bottles with fresh, chilled water in school if they require extra water.
Children will have a piece of fruit each day, which is provided free of charge. No other snacks are required.
Hot dinners are free for all Key Stage 1 children. The children choose in the morning which option they would like e.g. main/ vegetarian option or jacket potato.
Year 1 Websites
- Teach Your Monster to Read This is a free website, but you do need to register with an email address.
- ICT Games Lots of fun games, that cover lots of curriculum areas.
- Phonics Play This is a subscription website, but you can access some of the games for free. Or you can sign up if you wish, it's not very expensive.
- Topmarks Great website containing tonnes of games to support all areas of Maths and English, including phonics and spelling.
- Oxford Owl This fantastic website contains a huge range of ebooks that can also be access via tablets, as well as a range of maths games to support your child. To access the ebooks your child can use the class login details below. Username: cop4, Password: cop4 or Username: cop3, Password: cop3
Miss Morton, Mrs Balding, Mrs Angood and Mrs Burns.